Thursday, September 27, 2012

I'm ya Huckleberry!

After surviving the first week here, that following Sunday David took me to Tombstone.  I had never watched the movie (my dad is still surprised).  I filled myself in a little bit before we left so I would have a slight understanding for what I was in for.  On the drive up there, David filled me in some on details I may or may not had read.  It was a short, 20 minute drive there.  At first glance, the houses seemed very run-down, but once we arrived in town, everything was updated and very active.  David drove up and parked next to one of the few original buildings left in town, the courthouse.  I thought it looked rather large for such a smalltown, but it also housed inmates. 




Since The Captain had already been there and knew the layout, he guided me to the revived downtown area.  I saw several people walking around adorned with the "Old West" attire.  I was intrigued! Captain explained that these people do this everyday to keep their town alive.  We walked all the way down to the Bird Cage Theater and while doing that, he explained the types of events that occurred in this establishment.  Just outside the front door, there is a landmark describing the shooting that took place--I can't remember the guy's name, but it was Curly Bill that shot him. 




Once we went inside, it's like we stepped into a time machine and went back to the 1880s.  All of the artwork was original, flooring, walls, ceilings, everything! I could not believe this buliding was still in its original form.  When they closed the doors, they weren't open again until 1934! In the first room, there was a large bar and mirror behind it.  That is the original mirror, as well! I noticed a small staircase in the far right corner of the room that led to a door that was off limits and could only assume that it was a way to get to the balcony? Which was in fact where you could get to the box seats for the show, or the curtains could be drawn to be used as "cribs" for the prostitutes.

Pictures of Tombstone's History

Huge mirror!

This is the staiway
After paying the strange looking man to enter, we walk into the actual theater room and I was amazed at how many objects they have retained from this era! I had never seen so much history in one room! Captain brought my attention to the ceiling where there are bullet holes.  Etither they were shot for enjoyment, or annoyance.  Either way, the ceiling proved what people had only talked or written about (i.e., Tombstone).  I saw many different types of dishware, surgical instruments, even desks and  a small piano that "no one is allowed to touch".  I walked to the other side, and noticed a poker table, I was instantly drawn to it.  It is the original table and cards they used! The game wasn't "poker", but something just a bit more in-depth.  I read the description of how to play, but it just seemed a little foreign.  At any rate, The Captain had to pull me away from that so we could move on! :) Girls and their gambling! I think there's a book about that in the 1880s...

The Bird Cages or Cribs

Bulletholes in the ceiling!


The actual card table that Doc and Wyatt played at.


Honest box

We finally reached the stage and "The first baby grand piano in Tombstone" is sitting at the pit.  I then noticed all of the box seats and how nice it was for those people to sit above.  I wondered first was that where the Soiled Doves went to get business, but Captain quickly told me to wait, because there's more to see.  I walked up on stage and looked around, it was very large like what I'm used to.  We walked backstage and there were more artifacts, pictures of "Shady Ladies", and information about what happened backstage.  I saw barrels, chairs, etc. underneath the stage from that same time.  I could not believe all of these things had been preserved!  There was also a carriage hearse with a small casket, explaining how people showed respect, how they paraded caskets around, and so on.  On the carriage, was information about how it arrived, where it was made, the cost, and value of it now.  Next to it was the casket used in the movie, Tombstone and I guess they take pride in that.  Captain told me at the release of that movie, "It really put this place on the map."  It makes sense... people want to know anything and everything they can about that time.


Baby Grand Piano


Hearse Carriage


Information about the hearse

Then he led me DOWN the tiny stairway... THIS is where all the "soiled doves" worked.  It had small bedrooms where I assume they stayed all the time.  Outside of that, they had a smaller bar, and more small gambling tables.  I guess the women would flirt and such and interest the men and they would "go to work" in their rooms.  The rooms had original lamps, beds, trunks the women would've kept what little belongings they had, and even some apparel.  I cannot imagine growing up somewhere East, aspiring to be a soiled dove.  I know some of the women did not choose that path, but saidly some aspired to this lifestyle...

Small bar downstairs

More gambling tables - all original

This is the room that Josphine and Wyatt stayed in


Private Poker Booth - downstairs

There were a lot more pictures of the women in suggestive posing and clothing, or lack thereof.  I am not sure why, but these women intrigued me.  Maybe I just feel sorry for them, but they photographed well and most were beautiful.  One thing I did not know was that women were much more vuluptuous then.  I was very surprised at the size of these women.  It makes me want to go scream at Twiggy for starting this "skinny" revolution in America.  I know we have major problems with obesity, but there are still a lot more problems with eating disorders, especially in younger girls.  Ok, I apologize for the rant! Back to my visit, a lot of these women helped with charities, churches, etc.  I know they lived less than desirable lifestyles, but I guess you do what you have to.  In this case, some did.  In this last room we went into, beyond the "downstairs", it had a lot of history about Wyatt Earp, how he met Josephine, and their relationship.  It also told about the Apache, the founder of Tombstone and a lot of other stuff I can't quite recall. :P


Josephine or "Sadie Jo" - Wyatt's girlfriend









After leaving the Bird Cage, we walked around, looked at the "touristy" stuff, had lunch, and went to the original site where the OK Corral once stood.  David said we just HAD to see the reencatment of the shooting, so I of course, said yes.  Before going to the show, we got to see and read about what it was like at the corral, types of saddles used, what a crib was and the living conditions in those.  A crib was usually a row of small "houses" used by the Shady Ladies.  They were much less than the nice houses owned by Madams.  It was a very small room and the ladies usually paid $20/week for it.  I read in a book that the cribs were more or less, "get it and go". 


A crib or brothel was just one room


This is what it looked like in the rooms of the houses the Madams ran


Once inside the reenactment, I learn someone's take on what took place that day.  The actors were decent and the shooting was interesting.  I immediately told Dave we have to rent the movie.  There isn't much to say about the actual reenactment.  You had to be there, but it's just a different spin on the movie. 


Tom and Bill talking


And so it begins







We strolled around town a little more and then we went to the courthouse.  We toured through the rooms, learned about different law men, life in the city, and some other random facts.  There are more artifacts in these rooms and they have an actual roulette wheel from that time as well! I got to see what the courtroom looked like, but the building was renovated in the 20s, so it looked different. :(


Original Roulette wheel!

The Captain led me "out back" to the gallows.  Obvioulsy, they weren't original, but that's a strange site and an awful way to go, if you really stop and think about it.  I can't remember how many people died back there, but it was eerie.



Gallows

My visit to Tombstone, AZ was interesting, informative, and fun! I truly enjoyed myself and I am very thankful Captain took me.  It will definitely be something I won't forget. :)


1 comment: