Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Our trip to Bisbee, AZ



Well, it has been two weeks since we started this venture out West for training and I have thoroughly enjoyed myself! I will have to post about all of the things I saw on the trip out here, but I will do that on the next post.

It is a whole other world out here in Arizona.  I can’t even begin to describe the differences in the Southeast and here.  I will just have to show you with pictures.
The Captain (David) first took me to Tombstone, AZ and I learned a lot I did not know about that era.  There was very little law and most women were prostitutes! I never knew that, and now I am very intrigued with how they lived.  It is such a foreign concept that it was this, or nothing.  These poor women didn’t have a chance.  I guess some of them wanted to live this way, but others had no other choice.  The thing that bothered me the most was the fact that they were raped, abused, left to die.  There wasn’t enough law to make a difference at first.  I cannot imagine that lifestyle being the only way to survive.
Ok, enough about the depressing women of the West….

This past Sunday, Captain took me to Bisbee.  It apparently, is the hippy town of the state.  Besides the fact that every other store was a place these hippies had dropped off junk, the town is beautiful! It is surrounded by mountains, much like Fort Huachca.  It is another “boomtown” and it has an extermely large open mine for copper.  I believe it was in the 80s when they stopped mining, but it’s just a large hole in town.  We went to the Mine Museum and I learned more about a miner’s life in those days.  They were some tough men! Captain and I were going to go through a mine that is kept up for the public to see what it was like, but I was not dressed for the occassion of 47 degrees and WET.  I hope we can try to go next weekend.

This weekend, Captain is taking me to Tuscon and the Missile Museum and I am thrilled! :) I will post about that next week!

More about Tombstone and life on an active military base later!

Here are some pictures from Bisbee...


Me in the middle of Downtown


The HUGE copper mine



Captain with a pretty view of the city

No comments:

Post a Comment