Monday, August 26, 2013

Surgery and Post-Op

July was quite an eventful month for David and me.  I was working full-time and it was taking up most of my weekdays, on into the evenings.  On July 26, I went to see Dr. Deorio at TOC, since I had still been struggling with pain and weakness in my foot.  He was highly recommended and I had heard nothing except great reviews about him.

X-rays were first, then Dr. Deorio came into the room to discuss what had happened since that surgery back in April 2011.  He proceeded to inform me the hardware originally inserted had broken, most likely within 6 months of the surgery and that was where most of the pain stemmed from.  I was in utter shock! I could not believe that Dr. Haller (who performed the first surgery) or anyone else for that matter failed to schedule any type of check-up to see that everything was still in working order.

Dr. Deorio suggested removing the hardware and fusing a bone wedge from a cadaver to my calcaneus, which would lift my foot back into the position it is supposed to be in.  It took me a few minutes to comprehend what I was being told.  As many of you know, I struggled with an open wound/wound care for 6 straight months with the first surgery.  I promised myself I would NEVER allow any more surgeries, unless it was life or death.  I asked him if I elected to not have the surgery, what would the consequences be and Dr. Deorio informed me that I would most likely be in a wheelchair by the time I was 45 or so.  He explained how the surgery would benefit me, besides the obvious advantages.  I will be able to run again! That was probably the best news I could've ever heard, in regards to my foot.  My one concern was the wound care could once again be a major issue, however, he Dr. Deorio assured me otherwise.  I finally decided that Dr. Haller just doesn't have the experience that Dr. Deorio does, since his specialty is feet.  He told me that by the post-op appointment, it would be healing nicely.

I elected for the surgery and scheduled it within 2 weeks of that appointment, since David's active duty orders end in September and we will no longer have Tricare Prime.  That is the best plan Tricare offers, but only for active duty military members.  I knew that most of the procedure would be paid for and we wouldn't have these huge, outstanding medical bills.

After my appointment, I called Mom and told her about what I was told and she told me I MUST have the surgery.  Once I returned to work, I had to inform my boss of the news.  That afternoon, I was fired as a result of having to schedule a surgery.  I am still waiting on my unemployment from them...

Well, surgery day came and went and David has done a great job taking care of me.  He even carries me up and down the stairs everyday! I have my post-op appointment on Friday and hopefully, will no longer have to sit around with my foot propped up. 

I also began school last week, amongst all of this madness, I am graduating in December, thank the Good Lord!!! It's going to be tough, but luckily, I only have one class on campus.  That makes this much easier.  I have been ordered stay off my feet for 10 weeks and I am only at the 2 1/2 week mark.  I am ready to be finished and begin walking and running!!!

Below are two pictures, one of my foot after the initial surgery and the other is from the visit I had at TOC.  The difference in how the hardware appears is quite noticeable.

Thank you for all of the prayers so far, I ask for continued prayers, as I continue down this road of recovery.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment